Lemons are one of the most versatile fruits of nature. You can use them in numerous ways. From mixing into drinks to creating awesome sweet and savory dishes- your imagination is your only limit! Besides, a daily dose of lemon (in the correct amount of course!) boosts your immunity against common cough, cold, and other diseases.
But the usage of lemons is not restricted to oral consumption only. Lemons offer many benefits for your skin. By following a few simple steps, you can turn fresh lemons into amazing detoxifying, vitamin-enriched skin cleansers, moisturizers, or face packs.
Keep reading to find out more.
1. Lemon for tan removal:
Mild acidic ingredients are very effective for tan removal. As citric acid is the main component of lemon extract, it works wonders for tanned skin. Unwanted tans can be removed more quickly and effectively by lemon, instead of other ingredients with similar properties, such as yoghurt (which contains lactic acid).
However, applying pure lemon juice or extract directly on your skin is not recommended. The intensity of pure lemon juice is more than our delicate skin can tolerate. That’s why, diluting it with other suitable ingredients are necessary. Here are some ways you can use lemon for tan removal.
i. Take a bath: Chop 3-4 lemons in circular slices and add into a bowl of lukewarm water. Keep it covered for 10 minutes and then add the water along with the lemon slices into the bathtub. Take a long, relaxing bath into the lemon water 2-3 times a week and see your tan magically disappear.
ii. Bottle it up: Mix half a cup of lemon juice with half cup of cucumber water and 2 tbsp of rose water. Store the mixture in a spray bottle and apply it every day on your face/other affected areas. Keep for 5 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water. Your tan will be gone and you’ll be left with fresh, rosy cheeks.
2. Lemon for brightening up your complexion:
You don’t have to have a tan to leverage the goodness of lemon. The vitamin C of lemon works like a charm for almost everyone, and no matter what your skin type is, there is one way or the other, in which you can apply lemon on your skin and brighten it up.
1. Lemon for cleansing: the first step of a skincare routine is cleansing. You can add a few drops of lemon juice in your regular cleanser, or use a foaming cleanser that contains lemon extracts, such as the Refresh Botanicals Facial Cleanser (Lemon). Lemon-based cleansers penetrate your skin better and mildly remove dust particles from the deeper layers of your skin, thus, brightening it up from within.
2. Lemon for exfoliating: another important step in your regular skincare regime is exfoliating. While a physical exfoliation is recommended for skin below 30, a chemical exfoliation suits mature skins over 30 in a better way.
Lemon can be used for both of them. Here’s how:
i. Physical exfoliation: Any kind of exfoliation not only removes the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, but also removes impurities and blemishes that hide the original skin complexion. So, regular exfoliation is an important step if you want to brighten up.
Now coming back to physical exfoliation- mixing 2 tbsp of oatmeal with 1 tbsp of lemon extract and 1 tbsp of milk will give you an excellent natural exfoliating product. Massage this mixture all over your body and face for 5 minutes and rinse off. Your skin will become soft and radiant, free from dead skin cells and impurities.
ii. Chemical exfoliation: they are much gentle on your skin than the physical variant. Chemical exfoliants give you the same result, i.e. remove dead skin cells from your skin, leaving it smooth and soft. If you prefer all natural ingredients in your skincare regime, then instead of buying one, you can easily make this DIY exfoliant at home. Mix 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Apply it all over your skin and rest for 10 minutes. Thereafter, gently wipe it off with a damp towel.
3. Lemon for soft and hydrated skin:
Vitamin C is a great component that contributes greatly to give you soft, healthy and hydrated skin. There are multiple ways in which you can use lemon to hydrate and moisturize your skin along with healing your skin from problems like acne, dark patches, or uneven skin tone.
i. Lemon face pack for dry skin: Add 1 tbsp of lemon, 2 tbsp of papaya extract, and 1 tbsp of honey and mix well. Apply a thick layer on face and rest for 15 minutes. Gently wipe off with a damp towel or rinse with water. You will instantly feel a boost of moisture in your skin and your face will look brighter too.
ii. Lemon face pack for oily skin: Mix 1 tbsp of rose water, 1 tbsp of milk, ½ tbsp of turmeric power, 1 tbsp of flour, and ½ tbsp of lemon juice into a bowl and apply generously on your face. Rest for 10 minutes and rinse off completely. This pack will remove the excessive oil from your skin without ripping off the necessary moisture. Moreover, rose water will condition and milk will provide just the right amount of hydration for your oily skin.
4. Consumption of lemon for healthy skin from within:
Besides its external application, consuming a certain dose of lemon also helps your skin, hair, and overall health. Here are some tangy drink recipes for you.
1. Lemon detox water: as the name suggests, this drink detoxify your system internally. Just slice up 1 lemon and soak it in a tumbler full of water with a 1-inch stick of ginger. Leave them overnight. Drink the stained water in the morning on empty stomach. This dose of vitamin C in the morning will keep you energized throughout the day.
2. Honey lemon water: This is one of the most common drinks made of lemon, known for its effectiveness in losing weight. Add the juice of 1 medium-sized lemon into a glass of lukewarm water. Add 1 tbsp of honey for taste. Consume on empty stomach and then go for your regular exercise, jogging, or daily work.
So, what are you waiting for? Try them out yourself. We wish you and your skin all the best.